7: Grandparents

07 April 2014

Growing up, some of my favorite memories were being spoiled by my grandparents. After all, isn’t that what grandparents are for?? ;)
I loved slumber parties on Woodridge Drive or special outings to the Essenhaus breakfast buffet. Grandpa Ed always made sure we got a cinnamon roll, and a pack of Mentos for the ride home.
But it wasn't all spoiling-- I learned a lot from my grandparents too, especially from my Grandpa Ed. Important life lessons like...

“If you swallow a watermelon seed, a watermelon will grow in your stomach.”

“If you find yourself in the back of a long line, just make friends with someone in the front of the line!”

“Never ask a skinny person where to eat.”

“A Snickers a day keeps the doctor away.”

“Grandpa sings like a bird… Grandma sings like a frog!” 
Grandpa Ed, thank you for loving so well, for holding on to faith (and optimism!) until the very end, and for demonstrating how to treat each person as the most important person you’ll ever meet. I miss your whistling, your silly songs, and your big bear hugs. I look forward to seeing you again in heaven one day, eating a Snickers bar together and singing “Elvira” with the angels. :)
Grandma Marge, for the record, I always knew that you sang like a bird, and Grandpa sang like a frog. :) Thank you for your continued influence in my life, for the faithful prayers (I am so blessed to have a praying grandma!), slumber parties, and dress-up extravaganzas... I mean, seriously, does anyone else out there have a Grandma this cool?! :)
 
Thank you for modeling to the coming generations how to grow older with grace-- living a vibrant life, joyfully serving others, and walking closely in step with Jesus. 
I love you!

My Grandma Doris passed away when my dad was only 19. I wish I could have met her-- from the stories I've heard, she sounds like an amazing woman. Creative, resourceful, purposeful, and brave.

I wish she could have taught me to make marzipan or told me stories of her days in ministry. I wish we could have studied the Bible together or sat on the porch to pray. I won't have any of those opportunities in this lifetime, but her legacy lives on in her children and grandchildren.

I don’t have so many pictures with my Grandpa Dave-- I suppose there were too many of us cousins for that! (But I’ll get to the cousins part tomorrow…) :) However, I am grateful for the legacy of faith that my Grandpa Dave has paved for our whole family.
Grandpa Dave is a man of strong convictions, unwavering faith, and a generosity that reflects eternal values. He has endured much suffering and loss in his life, and yet he remains faithful to Christ, growing sweeter over time rather than bitter. He is also a man of prayer-- I specifically remember a night when he stayed at our house, and I could hear him in the bedroom next door crying out to God during the middle of the night.

Grandpa Dave, I pray that, just like you, I too might walk faithfully with Christ for all my days.

No comments :

Post a Comment