18: Argentina Amigas

18 April 2014

At 18, my world expanded as I graduated high school, packed up my bags, and headed south to Argentina-- along with my classmates Jenny (Anderson) Mata and Dan Moore (what would I have done without them?!)-- to complete a One-Year Biligual Bible Program at Palabra de Vida.

It was here that I learned to drink maté, speak Spanish, and appreciate diverse cultures with roommates from 17 different countries over the course of that one year.

I also made some very dear amigas...
 
Like Ruth from Ecuador, Flor from Argentina, and Aide from Mexico, who later visited me in Chicago and introduced my family to Christmas piñatas... :)
Sofia and I became fast friends with our many locuras, travel adventures, prank-wars, and post-curfew swims in the lake. :)
Many nights you could find us out on the dock, watching a sunset or counting shooting stars and contemplating life and God and the future. I later visited her family in Mexico, and she visited mine in Indiana. Sofia, thanks for living to the full and for your sweet friendship!
Te quiero, hermana!

And then there were the 50 Bilingal Program students… 

...and more "life-friends" like Katy, the crazy red-headed Aussie, and Esperanza (Hope), the little Mexi-gringa with a whole lot of sass. :) We were an unlikely trio, and yet a friendship was born that no distance could separate. We would later cross continents to reunite in Chicago...
London…
and hopefully, one day, Australia. :)

Katie, your music inspires, your passion is contagious, your care for others makes us all feel so loved. Thank you for teaching me to appreciate all kinds of people-- quirks and all. :) Come visit soon!!!

Hope, I'm so glad that Argentina was just the beginning for us-- a friendship continuing on in Cub's games...
and cinnamon chip pancakes...
in picnics in the park...
firework cruises...
and fake British accents! :)
A friendship that has weathered spring and summer...
fall and winter...
sickness and sadness and gladness and love.
We have walked through a lot of life together, and I am grateful for a friendship that has continued through it all.
I love you, Hope!

No comments :

Post a Comment