11: The "Fab 5" Girlfriends

11 April 2014

We are now leaving the cute-little-kid years...
and entering the AWKWARD stage.
But with so much obvious trouble in my home life, luckily I had some very cool friends to keep me from going off the deep end...

At eleven, I met two such friends-- two more “life-friends”-- Amber (Byars) Wilkinson and Ashley (Walters) Ingle. My family had recently moved (to a “restored junk yard,” per my father’s creative foresight) and I transferred to Elkhart Baptist Christian School (now Elkhart Christian Academy). The new school was intimidating, but Amber and Ashley welcomed me right in, and soon we were playing dodgeball and trick-or-treating and fighting over our sixth-grade heart-throb, David Gelatt. :)
And so our circle of friends grew. I’ve already mentioned Andrea, of course...
and then along came Courtney and Kallay to complete the Fab 5 (plus me, which I guess makes six… hmm, not sure how I did the math on that one).
Amber and I quickly became inseparable-- we were two peas in a pod, bosom buddies, DOUBLE TROUBLE! We made amazing home-videos, wore ridiculous costumes in public, spent summer endless days frying ourselves at the beach, and from time to time (ie: often) wet our pants laughing so hard. :)
I could always count on Amber for a crazy adventure or a good prank. At slumber parties, my poor dad couldn’t keep us quiet--we always stayed up way past our bedtime, “taking bites out of our health.” :) We were running partners (the annual Great Race on zero training and a big bowl of pasta), masters of secret codes (helpful for passing notes in class...), and the "Kent" champions of the world!! I’d never known a friend like Amber. We were completely, 100% silly together, and yet she also challenged me to love people well, to fight against sin, and to be more like Jesus.
Amber also challenged me to pursue purity, committing together at age 15 to save our first kiss for our future husbands at engagement. Both of us honored this commitment, and are now happily married to these handsome hunks. :) It was so worth the wait.
Amber, thank you for teaching me what true friendship looks like. I love you!

Ash was the diva of the group with her blond hair, high heels, and usually something sparkly. :) Life with Ash is just more colorful and fun!
She was the team spirit on the volleyball court...
the ring-leader for our Senior spring break trip to Florida, and the lead singer (“Jaci Velasquez”) of our “Point of Grace” trio.  :) What would we have done without her?!
She also loves Jesus with just as much passion. Ashley, thank you for your joy, your laughter, and your whole-hearted devotion to Christ. I love you!

Court and I actually met in 5th grade in Mr. Lambright’s class, helping each other cheat on spelling tests so that we could get Skittles. (I have since repented.) ;) We spent long summer days together riding bikes to each other's houses and swimming in her pool. And I will never forget the day we tried to squeeze into the baby swings at the playground (bad idea!). Courtney, thank you for all the memories, laughs, and for being such a loyal friend throughout our growing up years. Love ya, girl!

Kallay entered the scene in 8th grade, I think, but our families knew each other long before then. Kallay was the connector of the group, and to this day when she comes to town, she brings us all together. 
I remember serving together with Kallay at the Lifeline home in downtown Elkhart, making trips to The Dollar Store each month for seasonal locker decorations, breakfasts at Grandma's House of Pancakes, and those Tuesday morning prayer/accountability times with Andrea.
Since high school, I have continued to be encouraged by conversations or visits with Kallay--although not so frequent, I am always uplifted and challenged. Kallay, thank you for your heart for the least of these, for listening, and for loving people well, just as Christ loves you. I love you, Ole!

Of course there were many other girlfriends too-- in a graduating class of only 50, everyone is a friend! But the Fab 5 were something special, and I am grateful for each one of their influence in my life.

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for these stories! ...and for sharing these smoking pictures of my wife at various weddings, etc.!

    Happy 29th,
    David

    ReplyDelete