19: Val

19 April 2014

I bawled my eyes out at high school graduation, certain I'd never know such wonderful friends again.

And then I met Val.

We were standing across the plaza in our matching black and khaki, two wide-eyed transfer students, ready to take on the city. And just like that, we became “Val-and-Amanda,” all in one breath.
We shared a lot of life together during those three years in Houghton 607… city adventures and final exams, double dates and dumb mistakes, and endless bunk-bed chats about life, God, and boys, of course. :)
We even shared “date cards”—a secret log of all our dates: name, activity, time, and a smiley or sad face depending on how it went. The back side included our dating motto (especially motivational before a potentially awkward date): “Although these decisions may result in unpleasant consequences, the discomfort is neither life-threatening nor long-lasting,” and oath: “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do. Me and you, friends forever.” And at the bottom, our signature. “I, hereby, being of sound mind and judgment, agree to abide by this binding contract.” Any violation resulted in an “awful waffle.” I’m not quite sure what an awful waffle is, come to think of it, so it’s a good thing neither of us ever broke the rules. ;)
We made a great team, Val & I… Val kept me grounded, reminding me that studying is actually important from time to time (go figure!). And I kept Val free-spirited when schoolwork threatened to overwhelm (don’t worry, Mr. & Mrs. Strattan, she still got her 4.0!).

Val learned to go along with my crazy ideas. When I told her I was going to run the Chicago marathon on three weeks’ training, she assured me she’d be there. With balloons. 
Of course, Val had lots of crazy ideas of her own as well... :)

And when our days at Moody came to an end...
the "Adventures of Val & Amanda" continued on,
in Rome...
Sorrento...
Venice...
and Paris...
in Delhi...
and Mussouri...
and eventually back home, where we found two more partners for our grand adventures. :)

Valerie Anne, you have enriched my life more than I could ever begin to describe. Thank you for a decade of faithful friendship, for listening and understanding and letting me cry, and for always pointing me back to the Gospel. Your passion inspires, your joy is contagious, and your thoughtfulness has blessed me countless times. Life with you is just sweeter.
You are one-of-a-kind-- confident, talented, ambitious, and strong. 
I'm lucky to call you a sister and friend.

Here's to another decade of adventures with you, kid.
I love you, Val!

P.S. Happy (one-day belated) 29th Birthday to YOU!

No comments :

Post a Comment