14: "One-Step-Ahead" Friends

14 April 2014

I recently heard someone say that you should always have three types of relationships: someone who is one step ahead of you, someone who is walking beside you, and someone who is one step behind.

Today, I thank God for all the "one-step-ahead" friends that He placed in my life-- and specifically, the four that came along when I was just 14...

As a silly and obnoxious 14-year-old, for some reason beyond my comprehension, two gorgeous and godly teachers, Miriam (Hansen) Rust and Beccah (Lambert) Butler, took an interest in me and my 8th grade friends. They led us in a weekly Bible study, had us over for movie-nights, and even took us camping. (Serious respect for spending an entire weekend with junior high girls!)
Later, along came Rachel (Howard) Fulton as well. All of these women modeled to me (and my friends) what it looks like to be a godly woman, radiant from the inside out.

Thank you, Miriam, Beccah, and Rachel, for maximizing your years of singleness to selflessly invest in young girls and for being women worthy of our imitation.

(Rachel, Beccah, and Miriam now with their families-- pictures courtesy of Facebook.) :)

Along with these ladies, there was also one guy who modeled for me what it looks like to passionately follow Christ... my 8th grade Bible teacher, Jeff Reichanadter. I'll admit it was a bit weird when he started hanging around my older sister and spending a lot of time at the Lehman house...
 And of course I could have never known then that he would later join my family...
And serve with me in India...
And pastor my wedding.

Jeff, you have one of the most magnetic personalities I know. People are drawn to your passion, your heart, and your sincere care for others, and we all want to be a part of what God is doing in & through you. Your authentic love for Christ and your ability to clearly articulate that is a blessing to many.


Thank you for listening to me over the years and providing wise counsel, whether around the Little Eden campfire, the breakfast table in India, or at your home in Indy. I praise God for bringing you into our family, and I am honored to call you a brother. I love you.

1 comment :

  1. Wow! That was a BIG year for you, Amanda! And may I add, that each one of those four people are very dear to my heart as well, and have made a difference in my spiritual walk too. My favorite is Jeff though :) (Big surprise) Love you, Lori

    ReplyDelete