10: Word of Life family

10 April 2014

At age 10, I was baptized in the Troyer's pond-- the same pond I'd been swimming in for years, playing "King of the Raft" and flying off rope swings with the Troyer kids, Alisa, Bo, and Christa. The same pond where my older sister and brother were also baptized, just moments before.

That Sunday afternoon, surrounded by all our Word of Life Fellowship friends and family, I made a public declaration of what Christ had done in my life. As Pastor Jay Birky dipped me under the water, we celebrated this symbolic picture of a spiritual reality-- that, in the language of Romans 6:4, I had been "buried with Christ in baptism, and raised to walk in newness of life!"

I praise God for bringing me from death to life in Christ!

I also praise God for the many people at Word of Life who helped me grow in Christ along the way.

I think of Alicen Troyer, and Alice Troyer, her mother, both of whom led me in Vacation Bible School and always took the time to pray with me and for me.

I think of Deb Hershberger and Karen Perkins, who also taught me in VBS or Sunday School at some point. I think of Pat Carpenter, Jan Jessup, and Kendra Cross, and I am grateful for their faithful prayers.

All of these women remain some of my mom's very best friends-- they call themselves the "YoYo's" ("with each other through the ups and downs of life") and continue to meet together to this day to share life and intentionally pray for one another and for their children.

I think of Tina Bornman, my first grade Sunday School teacher, and Wilma Lichti, her mom, both of whom instilled in me at a young age the importance of Scripture memory.

I think of Ken Nisley, who taught our Sunday school class for several years and obliged even when we requested to study the book of Revelation. :)

I think of Kara Perkins, Brittany Schroeder, Gretchen Mast, Meagan Bontrager, and Cassi Graber, my Sunday School buddies, who encouraged me to love Jesus even at a young age.

A few years later, the church went through a sad split, and the Word of Life family scattered. Still, I thank God for that church body and for the many lives that influenced mine along the way.

No comments :

Post a Comment