25: India- The Heroes

25 April 2014

During my three years in India, I had the privilege of rubbing shoulders with some truly incredible people—people who sometimes seemed as if they’d leapt straight off the pages of the Bible. Today, it’s my honor to introduce you to some of these people.

If you met Ken & Frieda McRae, the founders of Shishya Society, you’d quickly realize they are not your “average” missionaries. Their story, in fact, is anything but conventional. It’s a story of two hippies who followed the 1970’s “Delhi Drug Trail,” on which they ironically met Jesus, met each other, and devoted the rest of their lives to loving the poor and oppressed.


They’d tell you about the miracles they’ve witnessed. They'd tell you about the time they got kicked out of the country or when Ken was falsely accused and sent to jail. They'd tell you about the days when they didn't know where their next meal would come from and the nights when children slept in every square foot of their home. But mostly, they'd tell you about the faithfulness of God that has shown up in their lives over and over and over again.

I was so blessed to work alongside the McRae family...


Ken, you have labored for many years and with much blood, sweat, and tears, but your labor has not been in vain. As I think about Shishya and all the amazing things God has done in that place, I am thankful that you had the vision and the courage to take the first step. Thank you for your example of obedience and for your unwavering commitment to Christ.

Frieda, I am amazed by your continual JOY, your faith in all circumstances, and your patience even on the most trying days. The love of Christ radiates in you! Thank you for loving me, for welcoming me into your family, and for continually spoiling me with pancakes, muffins, and cake. :) I consider you one of my "spiritual heroes," and I praise God for the many ways He has blessed me through you.

Sonu, their oldest son, and Lindsay, his wife, have also become a vital part of the Shishya family. They are always willing to serve and host, and their daughters add some much-needed girliness on that farm. :) Lindsay, thank you for your friendship and for always being a listening ear. Your family blessed me greatly.

Asher and Lara, who now run the campus and serve as house parents for the oldest boys, were also dear friends to me and Danny. Their servants' hearts and Christ-like love are a blessing to so many. Lara became an especially sweet friend to me during our recent visit, and I praise God for her sincerity, encouragement, and joy. We look forward to hopefully seeing Asher & Lara again soon on their Stateside visit. :)

Sheva is the life of every party and a legend around the farm, although unfortunately I didn't overlap as much with her... Still, her energy and enthusiasm for life were inspiring!

And then there is Nibha, their youngest daughter, who became like a sister to me. Oh Nibha, what would I have done without you?! I have such great memories of all our girly nights-- the pedicures, the henna hair-dye, the popcorn and movies. :) Your sweet spirit and laughter were a continual encouragement to me, and I thank God for your friendship!!!

I wish you could also meet Kiran Uncle and Ruth Auntie, servants of Christ and house parents to dozens of boys for nearly twenty years. They love the boys as their own, so much so, in fact, that when I first arrived, I could not tell which one of the boys was their biological son because they treated all of the children with the same affection.
Kiran Uncle is everyone's hero, killing snakes and bandaging wounds and cooking the best dosa and peanut chutney around. His face lights up as he tells stories about the boys, and it is obvious that he takes great delight in serving them as a father.
Ruth Auntie has the sweetest spirit and most generous, loving heart. Her tenderness and patience towards the boys never ran out, nor did the supply of chai for any guest who entered her home. :) I loved hearing her pray and, whenever we had the opportunity, praying together. What a woman of God.
Kiran Uncle & Ruth Auntie, thank you for lovingly welcoming me into your Shishya family, and for the ways you continually model the selfless love of Christ in your service to others. I am so blessed to have served alongside you!

And now one last friend you've just got to meet... Deepak came to work at Shishya sometime during my second year there. He calls me "didi" (sister), I call him "bhaiya" (brother), and from the very beginning of our friendship, that's exactly what it was. We bonded as we led the "Green House"for Sports Day, performed silly skits in assemblies, and tried to keep those crazy kids in line at school Christmas programs. :) 
Deepak is so full of joy and has the most infectious laugh. In fact, I can hear his laugh in my head right now, and it makes me smile. :) And certainly, he has much reason to rejoice. Deepak's life is an amazing story of God's faithfulness... a story involving many people whom God used to "plant seeds" along the way, and now, an abundant harvest of righteousness. It was an honor to get to know Deepak and watch God's faithfulness unfold in his life.

Thank you, Deepak, for your friendship, for making me laugh, and for pointing me to Jesus!

What a privilege to have met all these friends, to have served alongside them. They belong in the list of saints "of whom the world was not worthy" (Hebrews 11:38). Truly, they are heroes.

No comments :

Post a Comment