27: Danny

27 April 2014

Technically we met when I was 26 (you can read that story here)... but it was year 27 when we dated, got engaged, and married, and I thought this guy deserved a whole blog post to himself. So, I'm breaking the rules. They're my rules after all, so deal with it. ;)

Danny, considering that our friendship that began with pancakes, forts, and Lion King...
...I should have guessed that life with you would be so much FUN!
Marriage to you has been the sweetest gift I've ever known.
What on earth was I so afraid of???

You rope me into wild adventures...
and support me when I need you most.
You lead me to Jesus when I can't see the way,
you serve me selflessly and undeservingly,
and you bring me more joy than a Chick Fil-A milkshake. (That's a lot!)
And have I ever told you, we make a great team? :)

When I look at you, I see a man of strength and integrity. A man who is a natural leader and yet would never even realize it. A man who loves God, who works hard, and who knows no such thing as "mediocre." I see a man who I am honored to walk alongside as long as God gives us breath.

Danny, you are my best friend.
My greatest adventure.
And the love of my life.

I have no idea how I got so lucky.

When we were in the Smokies last weekend, celebrating our anniversary and reflecting on all that we have learned and experienced together in just one year, I looked over at you while you were sleeping, and I saw that one gray hair on your head. Suddenly my mind flashed forward, like an old-fashioned slideshow, to all the life and experiences we might share together until your whole head turns gray. It brought me to sweet, thankful tears. I know that sounds strange, but I guess what I’m trying to say is that I look forward (Lord-willing) to growing old with you.

In the words of our beloved Winnie the Pooh, “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”


I love you.

No comments :

Post a Comment