Arise Africa

08 July 2013

Last week, Danny took me out to Arise Africa's orphanage in Bukaleba, where he helped install a water pump system back in 2009. We bounced along bumpy red dirt roads to a small village about 40 miles outside Jinja....

...and, after after several goat crossings and a traffic jam of sugarcane trucks, we arrived two hours later at this property, with a stunning view of Lake Victoria.

He then drug me through jungly paths, up a mountain and down the other side again, to the natural water source where the well was installed. Major "toughness points" for Danny for walking that path every day with pipes, bricks, and cement! My husband is amazing! :-)






Four years later, the pump now serves an orphanage and primary school for about 60 Ugandan children.



During our week in Jinja, we also met a few of his old co-workers...

...had our world-views rocked in the slums with our dear friends, the Boones...

...and enjoyed both the quiet waters...

 ...and the raging rapids of the Nile River.

As I experience more of Danny's life here in Africa, my admiration for him continues to grow and grow. We are so thankful for this trip and for all of the opportunities to share these experiences together!

8 comments :

  1. It''s wonderful that you've been able to get into each other's worlds on your honeymoon. My admiration for BOTH of you grows and grows. :)
    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! This is Clayton! I'm at Grama Rack's house and we are reading your blog. I can't wait to see you again! I sure wish I could have been on the safari with you!!! I hope you have a safe trip back!
    I love you, Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! This is Emma! I am at Grama Rack's too. I've been praying for you. I wish I could be with you in Africa. It sounds really really fun! I really liked your lion pictures on your blog! I hope you have a safe trip home. Love, Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danny and Amanda! Praying like crazy for both of you! Have loved being on this journey with you via your wonderful blog!!! Looking forward to seeing you on the 19th......meanwhile I am enjoying to the full having Clay and Emma for a few days!!!! Love you, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a journey for you both to look at the paths that happened before yall were together. And now you can forge new ones together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Amanda! I just returned from a 2-week trip to Jinja. My experiences there were life-changing! We worked with Amy Washington and Kupendwa Ministries. They do great work in villages and in the hospital. She took us to the source of the Nile, and we worked around Lake Victoria as we went to various villages. I know what it is to fall in love with the precious Ugandan people! Have a wonderful time on the rest of your Aftrican journey. Congratulations on your marriage!
    Blessings!
    Lauri Carnahan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I love seeing the orphanage there and how they are able to have fresh water! Such amazing experiences you two have had together over the past few months. We are so ready to see you guys and hear more! Love, Aud

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a blessing for Danny to see the ongoing impact his service continues to offer to so many! There's not always that guarantee of knowing or understanding your impact when you serve God...it's a gift when you are allowed the privilege. And, what a double-blessing for Danny to get to share these moments with his lovely bride. God has shown great kindness and mercy to you both. Thanks for sharing your journey...it brings great blessing to God. ~Scott Tilley

    ReplyDelete